We are just over 24 hours away (less than 24 by the time most of you read this) from the 2009 NCAA men’s basketball championship. Who else is more excited about tomorrow than they were for Christmas? Here’s why the Tournament Thursday is better than Christmas.
- You don’t have to buy anyone anything. Sure, you still spend a lot of money, but it’s only on things for you (beer, food) and the rest of what you spend has a slim chance to be a great investment (if you when any of your brackets).
- You don’t have to wake up early and spend all day with your family. Instead, you wake up and for those suckers with jobs go to a fake day of work and get on cbs.sportsline.com right away to watch the games for free, while the rest of us sleep as late as we can, even though with all the excitement it’s hard to sleep past 9 a.m., Then we make our plans to meet up with friends to spend 12 hours in front of the TV watching basketball.
- You get to eat much unhealthier food and don’t have to do it around a table, trying to avoid that one uncle/cousin/or other relative you really don’t want to talk to. On TT (Tournament Thursday), you get to eat pizza and wings in front of a TV and only trying to avoid Billy Packer… oh wait. He’s gone this year. Perfect.
- You don’t have to spend time with the GF and there’s nothing they can do about.
- You are allowed to get as drunk as you want with the only consequence being you may not remember a great late game on Friday morning.
- Friends you haven’t talked to in forever call/text you again to want to hang out only during TT you actually want to see them and at Christmas you really don’t care.
- Once Christmas is over, it’s over for a year. When TT is over, you still got TF, TS, TS-II and six more days of basketball after that.
- If you win J Beanie’s Bracket Challenge (still time to sign up on yahoo, group name is J Beanie’s Bracket, group ID is 54214 and password is jbeanie) you get an autographed picture of Beanie himself. (And if J is up to it, we’ll include him in the photo.)
The conference tournaments were great and I think that foreshadows to what is going to be a crazy NCAA tournament. How come most games during the year don’t come down to the final minute but it seems like every game in March does? It’s hard to predict what will happen this year. During the season, every time a new No. 1 took over, they lost. Is that what’s going to happen in the tourney? I could see no number-one’s making it to the Final Four or I could see all of them making it. No idea and that’s what is so awesome. I just can’t wait until tomorrow.
One more thing:
Cavs game last night = awesome. It felt like a playoff game watching it. McLoud and AC were amped up all game but especially to start the fourth quarter. What stood out to me is how important it is to have a guy like Mo. I know we have seen how much better he has made the team all year but it’s in games like last night’s win over Orlando and future games in the playoffs where it is most evident. He wasn’t shooting the ball great, he had just missed two three’s in a row, but LBJ gets him the ball for another three and he drills it to put the Cavs up one. Later, he hit another to go up two. It’s so nice to have someone who is willing to, and can, step up down the stretch so it isn’t all LeBron all the time.
How awesome was LeBron’s last free throw when he told the crowd to get loud and then he made the shot. M-V-P! M-V-P!