A couple weeks ago, after scoring his first touchdown of the year, Braylon Edwards celebrated by playing the air guitar. Beanie commented then that it was one of the worst touchdown celebration in the modern era. Monday night, after Braylon and Darrell Dinkins scored touchdowns, both celebrated by “dunking” the ball over the goal post. Beanie has never been a fan of this either, not seeing the point of throwing the ball with hand through the goal post and barely touching the crossbar. Now, if someone jumped up and threw the ball down with two hands while hanging on to the crossbar, Beanie could be on board with that. But until that happens, please, no more “dunking” the ball and definitely no more air guitar. This got Beanie thinking though, what are some of the best and worst touchdown celebrations? And when Beanie starts thinking of what’s the best of something, you know what happens, Beanie makes a list.
BEST TOUCHDOWN CELEBRATIONS
10. The Ickey Shuffle – As a kid, I remember this dance being much cooler than two steps left, two steps right, spike the ball. But I do remember it being cool so it makes the list.
9. Call Your Fans – Joe Horn, not to be upstaged by TO, who had just done his sharpie celebration, pulls a phone out for the padding in the goal post after a touchdown. I love when players hide their props. It takes talent and confidence to pull off something like this. First you have to score, and second, you have to score in that endzone. What would have happened if he didn’t score. Would that phone still be there? Who’s phone was it? Was it even a real phone? Do you think Joe would use his phone or was it one of his groupies? How were these questions not asked after this happened?
8. It’s Always Funny To Make Fun of Someone – I’m not a fan of TO but he has some good celebrations. After an offseason when he told the Raven’s Ray Lewis he wanted to play for them and then said he didn’t to everyone else, TO signed with the Eagles. He scored and did the Ray Lewis “I just killed a man and now I’m dancing on his body” dance. And we all know it’s always funny to make fun of someone else.
7. Full Moon – Randy Moss scored against the Packers and then fake mooned the Packers fans by pretending to bend over and pull his pants down. Funny stuff. He didn’t actually moon any but Joe Buck acted like he just killed seven puppies and fed them to kids as hot dogs.
6. Putt-Putt – Chad Johnson has had a lot of, let’s call them different, celebrations. Most of kind of sucked (we’ll get to those in a moment) but when he pulled the pylon up and putt the football like a golf ball, I loved it.
5. Sign This – Another TO moment. He sucks at life but he does have some good celebrations. His best, during a Monday night game in Seattle in 2002, TO scored and pulled out a sharpie from his sock, signed the ball and gave it to a fan. I was watching this game and thought it was one of the coolest things ever. Don’t know why but still do.
4. Bob and Weave – The 2000 St. Louis Rams scored a lot and whenever you can involve the whole team, or most of the team, that’s pretty cool. I also love the highlights of like three or four Rams running down the field together before they even scored.
3. Look at All Those Bulldogs – Like I said, any time you get the whole team involved it’s awesome. Well the Rams go most of the guys who were on the field involved. The Georgia Bulldogs got the entire team involved. After scoring against Florida in 2007, the whole sideline ran on to the field to jump around. What makes it even sweeter is they said “screw the penalty, let’s have some fun.”
2. The Heisman Pose – Even if you aren’t a Michigan fan you have to admit this was pretty sweet. To return a punt in the biggest game of the season, to pose for a trophy you haven’t won yet but are so good you know you are going to win. That’s just plan awesome.
1. Duck Duck Goose – I have no idea what team this are, some CFL team, but this is one of the greatest celebrations of all time. So stupid, so long, so embarrassing for the other team because there is nothing you can do but watch these guys make a mockery of your defense. Enjoy.
WORST TOUCHDOWN CELEBRATIONS (in no particular order)
The Dirty Bird – an awful, awful dance.
The Squirrel – It’s done by Kelley Washington so it’s probably only happened twice in the history of the NFL but do yourself a favor and YouTube it. (I would give you the link but YouTube is blocked at work.)
Knockout – Gus Frerotte slammed his head into the wall in celebration of a touchdown injuring his neck. Thank goodness he isn’t a starting quarterback anymore. Wait? What?
Chad Johnson’s River Dance – Can someone please explain to me why he thought this would be funny? And more importantly, why people seem to like it? Also, his sign of “Please, NFL, don’t fine me.” Retarded.
The Mile High Salute – Where did this come from? I think it was because Terrell Davis was in the army or something. That makes sense for him to do it. But why was everyone doing it? That makes no sense and it was stupid to begin with.
TO’s Pom Pom – After the sharpie, he was stretching.
Steve Smith’s dirty diaper – What does changing a baby’s diaper have to do with scoring a touchdown?