A grab bag of random thoughts today on what’s going on in the sport world.
The Yankees are in the playoffs. Big deal. Like this wasn’t going to happen. They are the New York Yankees. They have a big pay roll than the NHL and MLS combined. They’ve been to the playoffs 13 straight years. That’s impressive. I hate it, but it’s impressive. Anyway, why were they celebrating last night like they won something? They made the playoffs. Congrats. But what were you celebrating? During a celebration like that what do you yell? “All right guys! Good job on that Wild Card slash AL East title!” or “Yippy boys. We won the Wild Card or the Division!” When the Indians clinched the AL Central, they got T-shirts and hats that said such. Did the Yankees get T-shirts and hats that just said “Playoffs.” Just plain stupid. Do the Yankees get another party when it’s determined if they are the Wild Card or division champs? What if they lose out, when Boston clinches the division, do they have a celebration for getting the wild card? Baseball celebrations are way to frequent, especially in New York.
- Ohio State’s backup quarterback, make that third string quarterback, Antonio Henton, was arrested for soliciting a prostitute. Really, Antonio? You needed to pay a prostitute for sex? You’re an Ohio State quarterback, granted probably no one knows who you are but I’m guessing at a college campus, you can find a girl who is willing. What does this say about you? Even the nerdest guy and hook up in college. No wonder you’re the third-string.
- Floyd Landis called cycling anti-doping system “corrupt.” Hey Floyd, go away!
- Is there any dumber than Mike Vick? Well, the guy who works at the animal shelter and allowed Mike Vick to adopt multiple pit bulls after Vick toward them they were birthday gifts for Travis Henry’s kids.
- Barry Bonds played is last game ever last night. Not just in San Francisco, but ever. Someone please tell him that. He doesn’t need to play next year. Go out now. It was a great ending and a great season to leave on. No other city will embrace you like the Bay.
- Anyone think the Suns would be interested in Anderson Varejao/Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes and Shannon Brown for Shawn Marion? Or is there any way the Cavs can get him? Please tell me Danny Ferry is at least exploring it.
- Great TV night tonight. The Office is back, Grey’s Anatomy is back (yes, I’m a fag, thank The Girlfriend for that one), It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is on (if you haven’t watch this show, 10:00, FX, tune in, it’s fantastic. It’s like a non-cartoon version of Family. It’s that off the wall. In one episode, they found a baby in the dumpster, kept it, thought about putting it back in the dumpster, then tried getting it in commercials but the commercial agent said the market was only looking for Latino babies so they tried painting it with spray on tan and shoe polish. Just watch. You won’t be disappointed.)
Back tomorrow with a weekend outlook.